Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Theory Class Teaching Reaction

I have been taking Music Theory with the same teacher for 3 semesters now, and I really like the course.  I like it because we learn a variety of things and I always learn a lot from the material being taught.  Some students might find the class monotonous, but I think that it works.  Students might think its monotonous because each class we go through a routine.  We start the class with a stretch, and some solfege singing of scales.  I think that the stretch is helpful because it wakes up the students, and the solfege singing gets their brains engaged.  We then move on to a piano drill, which consist of chord progression with chords we are learning in class so we can hear what they sound like in context with other chords.  We then review any homework assigned from the previous day to check for understanding, then move on to new material.  When we learn new material, we are always given historical context and listen to pieces that have the new material in it while looking at the music we're listening to, which I think is very helpful to learning the material. Our teacher even will once in a while bring in more modern examples of what we are learning to listen to. For example, one day our teacher played us a Led Zepplin song because it had an example of a chord we were learning.  I think that giving us modern examples helps show us that these concepts are still being used today.  I think that the Music Theory classes here have a good curriculum and are very effective to a student's learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment